Thursday, October 14, 2010

The Costume Conundrum: Part 2

When we last left off, Dorothy's ruby red slippers weren't quite the right fit...

My brain turned to other options. Being a brunette, I cycled through all my favorite female brunettes. Maybe I could be Velma? Orange turtleneck, red miniskirt, and I'm basically set. I've already got the dopey glases, and I've got my lines down ("Jinkies!").

Oh but what about matching the sweater to the socks and the skirt to the shoes? What about the classic little bob, my hair is too long, I'm not cutting it and I don't want to wear a wig. What about, what about, what about.

So that idea got placed on the backburner for a little while.

Then comes ComiCon 2010 in July. I see her everywhere and start to wonder whether I can pull it off. Wonder Woman. How bitchin would I be as Wonder Woman? I'd probably opt for a skirt rather than the spandex swimsuit version, but I can be a strong Amazonian warrior woman, with the right hair and the right accessories.



But then...well...I can't really make the costume. The stretchy, shiny spandex doesn't work well with my limited sewing skills and well, I don't really want to BUY a costume...$35 for the CHEAP costume that looks about as expensive as a McDonald's happy meal toy...or a heck of a lot more for a really nice suit. I am a broke college student. Not happening.

Staying in the vein of being broke, what about something easy, Where's Waldo? I think yeah, people would get a kick seeing me in a crowd, and all I need is the hat and the shirt, that's easy right? But oh, ew, horizontal stripes...

What about a jellyfish? Martha Stewart has a great tutorial. Get a clear umbrella and long strips of bubble wrap, maybe a blacklight...but hm...that's not really a costume it's just something you carry around...

What to do?! Find out next...

Question: Did you go through a process before settling on your final costume? Tell me about it in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment